Isn’t it incredible how the English language continues to evolve.
Watching costume dramas always brings a smile to my face as the actors try and navigate their way through the archaic and stilted language of the period being depicted. It’s whilst chortling quietly to myself that I realise how much our language has changed and continues to do so.
That’s why I wanted to share with you the 12 words that Collins Dictionary claims to have played the greatest role in defining the character of the year (courtesy of The Drum)
- Broga – yoga for men
- Legbomb -Angelina Jolie’s red carpet pose
- Eurogeddon -Eurozone economic crisis
- Mummy porn - inspired by 50 Shades of Grey
- Zuckered – Facebook share price plummet
- Jubilympics - combination of the Queen’s Jubilee and the Olympics
- Romneyshambles - when Mitt Romney’s UK visit didn’t go as planned
- Games Makers - the Olympic volunteers
- 47 per cent – the people Romney castigated in the US election
- Superstorm – storm just below hurricane strength
- Gangnam Style – the South Korean pop song
- Fiscal Cliff – US tax hikes and spending cuts for 2013
Can you think of any more?
What recent addition to the English language makes you smile, cringe or roll on the floor with laughter? Tell us by leaving a comment below.